Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Soup-y Fall...

OK, so this begins a new chapter in my blogging adventure. I really love to cook. And bake. And putter around my house. So, I've decided to start sharing some of MY own recipes on here :-) They are either family recipes or recipes I myself have adapted from others.

I am a big fan of fall. I love the crisp air. I love the colors. And I absolutely love love LOVE the food!!! I decided I was going to make a bunch of soup to freeze and store for the convenience. Not to mention the fact that canned soup has gotten SPENDY!! Anyway, I made my own chicken broth and a friend asked how I did this. Here ya go, Liz ;-)

Chicken Stock
1 whole chicken, or chicken pieces, cooked
1 onion
3 carrots
4 stocks celery
(all chopped coarsely)
10 peppercorns (or about 2 tsp pepper)

Place chicken in large and add about 10 cups cold water (or enough to cover the chicken)
heat on medium to a boil
Add onion, carrots, celery & peppercorns, and reduce heat to a simmer

(at this time, I removed the chicken and cut off all of the large chunks of meat.
I then replaced the chicken pieces in the pot
You do not HAVE to do this, but the chicken is SO moist at this point in cooking, its DELISH!!)

Simmer, partially covered, for 3-4 hours

cool, uncovered, in the fridge and skim fat

ENJOY!!

0 comments: